This is the as-official-as-I-get call for participants in an AD&D 1e campaign using G+ Community. It’ll take me a bit to get comfortable with that venue, and to finish sketching out enough of the dungeon to keep ahead of people for a while, so it may be a few weeks before we get started.
Here’s the deal.
- If you’re interested in playing but aren’t in my G+ gaming circle, e-mail me at hugeruinedpile at gmail dot com and I’ll get you added.
- Each delve, I’ll randomly select six players from the pool of all interested players. Obviously if you’re selected but not still interested for whatever reason, give me a heads-up.
- Those six players’ characters will participate in one discrete delve. Theoretically speaking, this will be one trip into the dungeon and back. Practically speaking, it’ll be handled on a case-by-case basis – if you’re ambushed by a carnivorous toucan before you’ve explored a room and have to haul a dude topside to get fixed up, the group doesn’t immediately go to the bench. A “delve” is a meaningful expedition into the dungeon and back.
- When that delve is over and bookkeeping has been finished for the survivors, six different players will tag in. I.e., the players who went on the last delve don’t get to go on the next on, and six players are randomly selected from the remaining pool. This may still result in some players getting in more often than others, but it smooths out the variance at least a little bit.
- For now, the dungeon is the game. We’ll gradually develop stuff about the city above and the wilderness around, but right now it’s just vanilla AD&D 1e.
- I’m using most of the AD&D 1e rules but not all (I’m even building on some of the neglected weirder rules like alignment languages), and will alter some subsystems to make things easier on myself. I’m not using a fucking flow chart for surprise and initiative, but casting times and speed factors will be relevant, for instance. The goal is to make the rules as unobtrusive and black-boxy for the players as possible – you tell me your action, secret things happen on my end, and I give you a result. If you ever have a question how I’m working a particular rule, let me know and I’ll explain.
- I’m a stickler for very few things. However, I do all the dice-rolling myself, including character generation. Our method is 4d6, drop low, arrange as desired. I’ll give you the ability scores, you figure out class, race, weapon proficiencies, alignment, etc. I’ll roll hit points (yup, roll hit points) and secondary skills, etc. We’ll get more into this when we actually do it. I do use the racial minima/maxima from the PHB – you have to qualify not only for your class but for demihuman race.
- If you already have an AD&D character from our last go at this, you’re welcome to use him or her again. I may still have the sheets somewhere, if not you’ll have to refresh my memory.
- We’ll work a lot of this shit out as we go. I’m not very difficult to work with.